It’s raining once again.After a hot dry summer, it’s such a welcome change.Especially when you are at home watching nature’s beautiful gift through your open window,letting in the cool breeze and the fresh comforting smell of rain kissed earth.It seems to awaken all your senses and transport you into a state of calm and peace. The earthy scent of petrichor, the sound of tiny drops of rain on the windows, the feel of the gentle breeze on the face, the sight of squeaky clean and green trees all around…I simply love it all. And what better way to enjoy the rains than munching on some delicious snacks while sipping on a mug of steaming hot tea or coffee.
It has been raining the whole of last week. Not the heavy paralysing kind but light and pleasant one. I made Chicken and cheese shots on one such day to celebrate the rain. The cool breeze carried with it the delicious aroma of these chicken shots from the kitchen to the entire home making everyone hungry. The shots are small in size and it is recommended that you eat each shot whole. The flavors of the crunchy crust and the melting cheese kind of deliciously burst in your mouth and play on your tastebuds. If I have tempted you enough do make a note of the recipe and prepare these yummy chicken and cheese shots. You don’t have to wait for it to rain.You can eat them right now. Or better still, make a big batch,use some now and freeze the rest. Whenever you smell Petrichor, take them out of the freezer, thaw them and get your deep fryer ready because….. it will be raining soon 😉
Recipe for Chicken and Cheese shots
Ingredients for chicken mince:
- 500g chicken breast
- 2 spring onion
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tsp. ginger chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. vegetable shortening/ghee
- 1/2 tsp. red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp. water
For the breading station:
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggwhites
- 4 tbsp. milk
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs/nachos crushed
For the filling:
- 2 cups mozarella cheese shredded or a combination of your favorite cheeses
- 2 tsp. oregano/Italian seasoning (recipe)
- Pulse all the ingredients required for the mince together except eggyolk and water.
- Put the pulsed mince in a bowl and add egg yolks and water.
- Mix well. Cover with a cling film and keep it in the fridge for atleast half an hour.
- Keep the breading station ready.
- Mix flour,cornflour and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggwhites.
- Crush some nacho chips or take 2 cups of fresh breadcrumbs and place them in a third bowl.
- Shred the cheese and add Italian seasoning to it.
- Remove the mince from the fridge.
- Apply some oil on your palms.
- Take a teaspoon of mince on your palm and flatten it with your finger.
- Put some filling in the center and bring the edges of the mince patty together to make a small ball.
- Make balls with the rest of the mince similarly.
- Roll each ball in the flour mixture.
- Then dip them in the eggwhite batter.
- Finally roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- Deepfry them in medium hot oil till golden brown.
- Enjoy them hot with a cup of tea or coffee.
(Recipe Courtesy: bharatzkitchen.com)
I didn’t know there was a word for a ‘rain lover’ for ‘someone who finds joy and peace of mind during rainy days’ – Pluviophile.
I am a Pluviophile….are you? 🙂