Yesterday my daughter read out a joke on Neil Armstrong from the internet…. ‘Neil Armstrong was the first human being on the moon.Neil A spelt backwards is Alien. So did we send Neil Armstrong to the moon or back to the moon’ 🙂 That reminds me,most of us have made our resolutions for 2016 by now. So if by chance your list features any one of the following then this Banana Walnut Chocolate bread is for you:
- planning a trip to the moon/mars
- world domination
- break a world record
- try para gliding or bungee jumping
- compete with the super intelligent ‘human machine’
- beat Bill gates or Carlos Slim to top the world’s richest list
- include healthy foods in your diet
Bananas and walnuts are both super foods. While bananas make us smarter,pack an energy punch,cure depression, build strong bones,improve mood, relieve stress and enhance happiness levels, Walnuts promote brain health, improve memory,heart health, strengthen hair,manage weight and diabetes. And chocolate is chocolate. Besides giving us a flawless skin and stimulating our’happy hormone’, chocolate boosts concentration, strengthens our intellectual and mental abilities.Brown sugar is known to improve blood circulation,relieve colds, ease menstrual cramps and hydrate the skin. But like everything else,moderation is the key.
So… this lovely loaf of bread has all these wonder elements plus tastes amazingly delicious.Brown sugar and bananas keep the cake moist, while the toasted walnuts add the crunch to the bite. Enjoy a warm slice of this bread with a cup of green tea and start 2016 on a deliciously healthy note.
Banana Walnut and Chocolate bread
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 &1/4 cups brown sugar(1& 1/2 if you want it sweeter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 over ripe bananas mashed
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven at 350ºF.
- Line a 9″× 5″ loaf tin with baking paper.
- With an electric or hand blender, cream the butter and sugar well.
- Add eggs one by one and whip them well.
- Add the mashed bananas,salt,milk and vanilla and blend well.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour little by little to the batter and fold in gently.
- Add the walnuts and fold in.
- Pour the batter into the tin and sprinkle the chocolate chips and a few walnuts over it. If you do not want the chocolate chips to be seen on the crust you can fold them in the batter.
- Bake for 75 to 90 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Baking tip:If you find the top browning quickly, you can cover the loaf tin lightly with aluminium foil after 30 minutes of baking.
And please wait for the bread to cool a bit before you slice it,so you get thin and neat slices. I simply can’t 😦
Enjoy a warm slice with a cup of green tea.