If you are listening, please respond. Ever since you were conceived in 2007,we knew you would one day do us proud.You embarked on a mission unlike any before.You have been through a long journey to land where you are.We have witnessed the pressure tests,checks,the progresses and the setbacks,the rehearsals and everything else you went through .. About 12 years of hard work, not only we Indians but the whole world watched your progress from one phase to the next with great expectations and excitement. You made us proud . You were to expand our Indian footprint in space. You are an inspiration to our future generation of scientists,engineers and explorers. You surpassed all international aspirations when you set out on your journey to explore the moon. We all waited with bated breath and excitement, as you traversed your series of orbital maneuvers,coming closer and closer to your destination. Thank you for sending us the pictures of Jackson, Mitra, Mach, and Korolev on your way. The entire nation cheered and clapped as you, Vikram aced the various stages of descent on to the lunar surface.Even as 95% of your mission was complete and were closest to achieving your goal, you have stopped communicating. We know you have landed,(albeit not a soft one as planned), and we also know you are safe but we need to hear from you. Just get up and get in touch. Tell us Pragyan is safe too.We know you can do it.The woods are lovely, dark and deep,But I have promises to keep,And miles to go before I sleep,And miles to go before I sleep.With lots of love and Anticipation-Anxious Indians
Kheer (Rice Pudding)
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup basmati rice,washed and soaked in water for half an hour
- 6-8 tbsps. sugar
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
- 12 almonds blanched and sliced
- 12 cashew nuts sliced
- In a wide mouthed pan pour in the milk and bring to a boil. Keep stirring in between so that the milk does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add it to the hot boiling milk. Lower the heat and let the rice cook. Do not cover the pan. Keep stirring.
- When the rice is half cooked, add the sugar, cardamom powder, saffron and nuts. Continue cooking on low heat.
- Scrape the sides of the pan and keep adding it to the kheer.
- When the rice is cooked completely and the milk has achieved a thicker consistency take the pan off the heat. And chill the kheer in fridge after it reaches room temperature.
- Traditionally in Hyderabad, Kheer is served in individual earthen bowls. It absorbs the aromas and the flavours of the earthen bowl.
Mithi Poori (Sweet lentil stuffed pastry)
Ingredients for the pastry:
- 400 g plain flour
- 1/2 cup ghee
- Milk for kneading the dough
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp.Curd
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- oil for deep frying
- Add salt to the flour first. Mix well and add the ghee,egg white and curd.Knead the flour by adding 1/2 cup of milk first.
- Gradually add milk a spoon at a time and make a smooth dough.
- Keep aside for half an hour.
- Make small balls from this dough.
- Roll out each dough ball into a 4 inch disc.
- Put a spoonful of the lentil filling in the middle of the disc.
- Fold the pastry over and seal the edges with a paste of flour and water.
- Deep fry until golden in medium hot oil.
- Serve hot with chilled kheer.
Ingredients for the stuffing:
- 1/2 cup split chickpeas(Chane ki dal)
- 1/4 cup Ghee
- 1/4 tsp. Cardamom powder
- 1 cup sugar
- Wash and soak the chickpeas for an hour or two.
- Drain and add the lentils to a deep pan or pressure cooker. Add a cup of water and cook till the lentils are soft.
- Take off heat.Allow to cool and pulse/blend them into a smooth paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan.Lower heat.
- Add the cardamom powder, lentil paste and sugar.
- Be careful as it splutters during cooking.
- Keep stirring to avoid the mixture to stick to the bottom.
- Cook till the mixture till it leaves the sides of the pan and comes together.
- Take of heat and keep aside to cool.