When life hands you lemons,why not make cup cakes and let the world know how you turn the sour and tangy flavors in your life to something sweet and amazing.
Lol ! How was that? I am asking because I just made that up. My contribution to the ‘lemon quotes’ 🙂
Who doesn’t love the Scent of a Lemon. The comforting, reassuring fragrance of lemons can be an aromatic asset for your health. Women especially love the scent and flavor of a lemon. I wonder what Al Pacino would have to say about this. Just a whiff of a lemon can lessen anxiety and stress while improving cognitive performance and mood. Especially, when you are prepping for an important presentation or meeting, rubbing some lemon balm on the inside of your wrist or simply taking a long whiff of a fresh lemon can enhance your performance and attitude.So now you know, what to carry in your bag when you step out of your home.
I found this cute and funny quote on the net :
The lemon cupcakes are very flavorful and delicious and very easy to make.The recipe is from Rachel Allen. I added a tablespoon of milk to the batter in the second batch. It made the cupcakes even more moist,light and delicious. You can eat it without the frosting, warm and just out of the oven (that’s how i like it). Or you can just smother it with some lemon frosting…or even better, if you have time on your hands and you want to gift it to your near and dear ones, you can do some proper icing. I wanted to do a rosette icing initially, but then I thought since it was a lemon cup cake, the icing should look like lemon peel.
Lemon Cup cakes
- 125 g (4½ oz) butter, softened
- 125 g (4½ oz) caster sugar
- Finely grated zest ½ large lemon (keeping the zest of the remaining ½ lemon for the lemon icing)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150 g (5 oz) plain flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp. cold milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 º C/gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole cake tin with 12 paper cases.
- Cream the butter in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer until soft. Add the sugar and grated lemon zest and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten eggs, then sift in the flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture. Alternatively, whizz all the ingredients together in an electric food mixer.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake in the preheated oven for 7-10 minutes, until risen and golden. When cooked, the centre of each cake should be slightly springy to the touch. Remove the cakes from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool before you ice them.
recipe courtesy: Rachel Allen
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- few drops lemon essence
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp. milk as per consistency required
In a large bowl, beat shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the essence and lemon juice. Now add sugar cup by cup and mix well. Add half the milk and check consistency. If required add some more. Add lemon yellow color and mix again.
For two toned icing:
Take one-fourth of the icing (before adding the yellow color)and add some red color. Put it in the icing bag and spread with fingers. Now add yellow color to the rest of the icing and put it in the center of the icing bag( please note that the red color icing would be sticking to the bag). Pipe the icing on the cooled cup cakes as desired.
Decorate the cup cakes with sugar flowers and enjoy..
Some interesting lemon jokes :
What do you give an injured lemon?
Why did the lemon cross the road?
He wanted to play squash!
What did the lemon say to the lime?
Sour you doing?
Why did the lemon stop halfway across the road?
He ran out of juice!
Why did the lemon disapprove of his daughter?
Because she was a little tart!
I am taking my jokes and cupcakes to share with my Fiesta Friday friends at Angie’s party@FiestaFriday.net .Co-hosting with Angie are two amazing ladies Caroline @Caroline’s Cooking and Jess @Cooking Is My Sport . Thank you Angie for hosting these lovely parties.