Estimated time taken: 90 minutes
Pie Crust (For a 9 inch crust)
- 160grams Flour
- 60grams cold butter
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice cold water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bunch of spinach leaves chopped
- 1 big tomato chopped
- 4 eggs beaten
- 300ml milk
- 50grams shredded cheese (Mozzarella or any other)
- 1 tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1 tsp. Black pepper crushed or to taste
- 1 tsp. Dry oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped bell pepper any colour (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sweet corn kernels (optional)
- 200 grams boneless chicken shredded (fried or barbequed with any choice of seasonings)
- 3 teaspoon oil
Mix flour and salt in a big bowl. Rub in chopped butter so as to resemble bread crumbs. Sprinkle water little by little as much as to form a ball of dough. Wrap it in a plastic wrap and leave for half an hour in the fridge. Roll out the dough and place in a greased pie tin. Prick with a fork. Cover it in plastic again and keep in fridge for 15 minutes. Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees. Remove.
Heat oil in a skillet and sauté onions till soft. Add tomatoes and cook till soft. Then add spinach and cook till dry. Add bell pepper, corn, chicken and seasonings. Remove from heat. Ladle into the pie crust. In another bowl mix eggs, milk, cheese, salt and pepper and pour over the chicken mixture slowly. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 – 40 minutes till a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Healthy Eating tip:
You can substitute half the flour with whole meal flour.