When you have been partying hard during the festive season and you have literally lost count of the calories, a fresh and healthy salad brunch comes as a life savior.
Fattoush is a Lebanese peasant salad made with fresh vegetables, greens, crispy toasted pita bread and a flavorful sweet and tangy vinaigrette dressing made of lemon juice, sumac powder and /or pomegranate molasses. It is usually served alongside grilled meats.
My version of chicken salad is inspired from this gorgeous Lebanese beauty. I have substituted the pita with broiled brown bread cubes which adds crunch to the salad even though it soaks up the dressing beautifully. This salad makes a complete filling meal substitute and is very tasty besides being nutritious.
Grilled Chicken Salad : Lebanese Fattoush
What you need:
- 6 slices of brown bread croutons∗
- 2 cups grilled chicken cubes ♠
- 1 cup grilled or pan fried paneer cubes ♥
- 2 cups shredded iceberg/romaine lettuce
- 1 large cucumber diced♠
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels steamed/boiled
- 1 cup bell peppers diced and sauteed( any color)
- 1/2 cup pitted olives
- 2 tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/2 tsp. sumac if available
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- salt to taste
- crushed pepper to taste
- 2-3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
∗Brown bread croutons:
Cut cubes from the 6 slices. Toss with olive oil, salt,black pepper and garlic powder. Broil them at 180 º for 5 to 10 minutes till crisp and golden.
Preheat grill at 170 º. Rub the chicken cubes with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until done, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (Alternatively, broil chicken for about 6 minutes per side.)
Season paneer (cottage cheese)or tofu cubes with salt, red chilli powder,turmeric powder and lemon juice. Pan fry or grill for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Put all the salad ingredients together in a big bowl. Make a dressing with all the ingredients in a small bowl.
Toss the salad well with the dressing and serve immediately.
- The vegetables and the chicken quantity can be increased or decreased according to your taste.
- Either toss the salad with the entire dressing or with as much quantity you desire.
- Sumac gives an authentic Lebanese flavor to the salad. In case it is not available, you can use pomegranate molasses or powder. Or you can skip altogether. The salad tastes delicious even without it.
Well, when you are talking of parties Fiesta Friday is my essential weekly party place. Hosted by Angie@The Novice Gardener it is the most fun party online.This time it is being co-hosted by the awesome blossom blogger friends Mr.Fitz and Kaila. Join us for unlimited array of yummy foods…