Week 1 of Fiesta Fridays First Annual party was a huge rocking success. There were many new enthusiastic guests who popped in besides the fiesta regulars.Every one was received with equal warmth by the gracious hosts . No wonder why people rush to The Novice Gardeners’ in flocks and droves.
Congratulations to the awesome host Angie @ The Novice Gardener and her super duper co-hosts Hilda @Along The Grapevine and Julianna @Foodie On Board for successfully completing the first course of the fiesta.
Week 2 happens to be the ‘Dessert and Main Course’ round. This week’s fiesta will be co-hosted by my very dear friends Nancy @Feasting With Friends and Selma @Selma’s Table who are all going to make sure that you have a rollicking time at the party.
While I am busy with the fiesta, my kids are already excited about the Super bowl. And that means making lots of goodies and munchies for the weekend. but right now I am making Chinese basket Noodles with seasonal veggies and chicken. The vegetarians can leave the chicken and still make the dish. It tastes just as good. Since the baskets can get soggy, I am carrying them separately and spoon in the vegetables only when I am about to serve.
Basket Noodles with Vegetables and Chicken
What you need for 4 noodle baskets:
- 2 packets chinese noodles
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
Boil the noodles in a big pot of salted water till al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop further cooking. Add a tablespoon oil and toss so that the noodles don’t stick. Now spread them on a clean kitchen towel.
Heat oil in a wok. Place a portion of the noodles in a sieve/strainer to make a basket, along the mesh of the sieve.Place another sieve on top to hold the noodles in place. Put in hot oil and deep fry till golden brown in color. Remove from the sieve and keep aside on a paper towel. Basket is ready for use.
For the Vegetable Filling:
- 1 large carrot cut in 1 inch pieces
- 5-6 baby corns cut in half
- 5-6 button mushrooms halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 a head of bok choy/chinese cabbage
- 1 big onion quartered and layers separated
- 2 tbsp. dark soy sauce
- salt to taste
- 2 -3 tbsp. chilli oil
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 4 dry red chillies
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. cornflour powder made into paste with water
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
For the crispy chicken:
- 12 chicken tenders(2 to 3 inch strips)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 4 tsp. cornflour
- 2 tsp. flour
Mix all and deep fry. Keep separately.
Method for vegetable filling:
- Heat chilli oil in a wok ( I didn’t have chilli oil. So, I just sauteed a couple of red chillies in the oil and left them in the oil for two hours. then discarded the chillies and used the oil).
- Saute red chillies,onion,ginger garlic paste, carrots, mushrooms, baby corn and peppers.
- Add salt, sugar, soy sauce and stock.
- Add the thickly chopped bok choy.
- Add the cornstarch and simmer for a couple of minutes.Add some more stock or water if needed.
- Don’t overcook.The vegetables have to be crispy.
- Serve hot on the noodle basket.
- Remember to put the vegetables in the basket just before you serve. Otherwise the basket may turn soggy.
- Top with chicken tenders to those who want a chicken version.
- Enjoy with friends and family…