Turon or banana spring rolls is a popular Filipino dessert sold on mobile food carts which line the streets of Makati’s Central Business District. They are fondly known as Jolly Jeeps. Jolly Jeeps were originally wooden carts started with the purpose of providing meals on wheels to the blue collar workforce (laborers, janitors, clerks and low-level employees) who looked for economical lunches because the office cafeterias burnt a hole in their pockets. With the passage of time, these Jolly Jeeps became popular with the white collared employees, managers and executives who drove up to them in fancy cars to savor the delicious food served there.
In the early days, these carts were unregulated and untaxed. The vendors would just park them in their slots where the employees from neighboring offices would hop down in their free time and buy a meal. As they did not have permission from the city government, they would drive their carts to the next block and set up their business there, whenever the cops would drive by and shoo them away. Eventually, the Jolly Jeeps evolved and lost their wheels. Now they are stationary aluminium booths which are taxed by the government and regulated by the local health authorities.They are the pride of Makati city.
Turon or banana spring rolls is one such delicious snack served in these jeepneys. It is made with spring roll wrappers stuffed with banana and/or a slice of jack fruit. There are many variations to this dessert. You can experiment with the fillings. It is traditionally made with banana coated in brown sugar, but I prefer white sugar because it keeps the pastry golden in color after frying. The brown sugar version tastes equally good but the pastry turns reddish brown. You can serve it with chocolate sauce or with ice cream. The hot crunchy springroll with a sweet gooey filling served with cold ice cream of your choice can be an ultimate experience. If you happen to try this simple, delicious,easy to make recipe do let me know which option you liked better-the one with chocolate dipping sauce or the one with ice cream.
I assure you they are easy to make and will be loved by every one in your family. So,don’t miss trying this recipe…
Turon- Banana spring rolls
- 10 spring roll leaves
- 5 bananas cut into two each
- 1 cup ripe jack fruit chopped (optional)
- 1 cup white sugar (brown sugar if you wish)
- Oil for deep frying.
- Roll each banana half in sugar till well coated. Work with one half at a time. Otherwise the sugar can melt and make the wrapper wet.
- Place one half of a banana on the spring roll wrapper and add some jack fruit if desired.Fold from sides and roll.
- Make a tight roll and seal it with water or a paste made with flour and little water.
- Make all the rolls similarly. Work fast. Do not let the rolls sit for a long time.
- Deep fry in medium hot oil till golden brown.
- Serve immediately with a scoop of ice cream or some chocolate sauce.
Enjoy this melt in the mouth dessert from Philippines..