Happy Ramadan to all my friends and readers!
Ramadan the holiest month of the Islamic calendar is a month of fasting, charity giving , self analysis and introspection. During this month, Muslims across the world fast from dawn to dusk. After partaking the pre-dawn meal called Suhoor or Sehri,they abstain from eating or drinking till dusk.Apart from food and drink, Muslims refrain from sinful behavior like gossiping,back-biting,fighting,lying or cursing which negates the reward of fasting. The day long fast is broken after sunset with a date and a sip of water as was the tradition of the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH). This is called Iftar. After the sunset prayers a more elaborate meal is shared with family and friends.
Muslim women besides fasting,praying and their daily routine make delicious treats for Iftar and Suhoor for their families. Most of them would agree that preparing these special dishes is easier than actually deciding what to make.
Chicken puff pastry is a delicious and filling snack which can be easily made for Iftar. The pastry is light,flaky and crunchy with a creamy chicken filling. I have not used cheese or cream in the filling to cut the calories. The filling can be made in advance. Actually this filling is versatile and can be used in different ways. You can make a chicken roll with tortillas, use it as a taco filling,pie filling,sandwich or shawarma filling. You can add cheese/corn kernels/bell pepper to add a crunch to the dish.
Recipe: Chicken Puff Pastry
- 250 g boneless chicken boiled and shredded
I am not a fan of frozen meat.Nothing beats the taste of fresh tender chicken straight from the butchers. I discovered this online store FishandMeat which supplies fresh fish and meat straight from the butcher’s table right to your doorstep in and around Hyderabad..They have quite a variety of fish and meat with different cuts. I was really impressed with their prompt delivery and packing standards. The chicken was clean,looked tender and juicy.It made a lot of difference to the final taste of the dish.
Method:Boil 250 g boneless chicken with a cup of water and a dash of salt and ginger garlic paste.Shred it and keep it aside.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- salt to taste
- pepper powder
- Piri Piri seasoning
- 1/2-1 cup of milk
- In a wok, melt butter and add the onions. Saute them till they are transparent.
- Add flour and mix well. Add all the seasonings. If you don’t have Piri Piri, try paprika and mixed Italian herb seasoning.
- Saute further and add milk to make a thick consistency.
- Add the shredded chicken and take off heat.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry(home made or store bought)
- 1 egg whisked with a teaspoon of water
- Spread out the thawed puff pastry sheet. And cut different shapes with a cookie cutter. Each puff needs 3 layers. So if you are making a heart shaped puff you will need to cut out 3 hearts from the sheet.
- Preheat the oven at 200ºC /392ºF.
- Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and brush lightly with oil.
- Place one heart/roundel on the sheet.
- Brush it with the egg.
- Place some filling on it.
- Put another layer of heart/roundel,press the corners lightly and give it an egg wash.
- Place the third layer,press it lightly and brush it again with egg.
- Make all the other puffs in a similar fashion.
- Make sure the pastry is still a bit cold. It will ensure that it rises well.
- Put the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or till golden brown and done.
- Serve hot and enjoy this flaky creamy delicious pastry with your loved ones.