Golguppa also known as Paani puri or Puchka is an interesting Indian fastfood quite popular with people of all ages especially women. You can spot mobile kiosks selling golguppas in almost every bylane, nook and corner all over India.
Golguppa is a hollow crisp ball made of flour and stuffed with potato, lentils and a tangy liquid made of tamarind pulp and spices. I have my own variation to this delicious snack.
- First the lentil stuffing. Soak chickpeas overnight and boil them with a teabag till they are cooked(they should not be too soft).Fry some sliced onion, tomatoes, green chillies and season with salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and Chole masala if available.Add the boiled chickpeas and toss.
- For a sweet chutney, boil equal quantities of tamarind pulp and jaggery. When the concoction is caramelized season with black salt(or salt), Red chilli powder and Cumin powder. For a cup each of jaggery and tamarind add a teaspoon each of spices.Mix this chutney with the chickpeas, top with some beaten yogurt and set aside. Chill it in the refrigerator.
- Squeeze out some orange juice and set aside.Chilled
- Make a berry mocktail. Or use some easily available Berry cordial.Set aside.Chilled
- Then there is the usual regular spiced tamarind water.
My idea of serving. Take a large serving dish as shown in the picture. Keep some hollow golguppas in the centre. Pour in all the liquids No. 3 to 5 in seperate bowls and the chickpea mixture in one.Make a small hole in the golguppa and put a teaspoon of chickpea mix and fill it with any one of the liquids alternately. Eat at a single go. Go ahead and try it. It is going to be a sure hit.