Dahi vada or Dahi bhalla is a popular Indian street food snack also known as Chaat. Dahi means ‘yogurt’ and vada or bhalla mean ‘dumplings’.The lentil dumplings are soft and melt in the mouth and served with chilled and seasoned sweet yogurt. The dish is topped with sweet red chutney and hot green chutney.
This nutritious and cool snack is also relished during Iftar in the holy month of Ramadan in almost every Indian home. The recipe is almost the same everywhere, except that I like to stuff the dumplings with raisins, because kids like the sweet surprise inside.
200 g Split black gram skinless(Urad dal)
750 ml yogurt
1 tsp. chopped ginger
2 tbsp.Gram flour (besan)
- salt to taste
1 tsp.Rock salt
- a dozen raisins (optional)
1 tbsp.sweet red chutney
1 tbsp.green chutney
- Oil for deep frying
1-2 tsp. Roasted cumin powder
- 1-2 Green chilies chopped
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Wash and soak the black gram overnight in enough water.
- The following morning, drain the water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Add salt, raisins, ginger, green chilies and gram flour to the batter and whisk for ten minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok/deep bottomed pan.
- Take a tablespoon of batter and drop the batter in the hot oil and fry until golden.
- Fry all the dumplings similarly.
- Drop the fried dumplings in a pot of water.Let them soak for two minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the yogurt with some rock salt and sugar.
- Now remove the dumplings from water and squeeze them gently to remove excess water.
- Place them in a serving bowl/plate with the whisked yogurt.
- Spoon some sweet red chutney and some hot green chutney(if desired)
- Sprinkle coriander leaves, roasted cumin powder and/or red chili powder
- Serve chilled.
Sweet Chutney:For a sweet chutney, boil equal quantities of tamarind pulp and jaggery. When the concoction is caramelized season with black salt(or salt), Red chilli powder and Cumin powder. For a cup each of jaggery and tamarind add a teaspoon each of spices. Chill it in the refrigerator.
Green chutney: Pulse together Coriander leaves 1 cup , Mint leaves 1 cup,Green chilies 2,salt to taste and a dash of lemon juice
Some more Chaat (Indian street food) ideas:
I am taking all these tasty snacks to Angie’s Fiesta Friday.This week lovely Loretta@Safari of the mind and Caroline@Caroline’s cooking are co-hosting the party. I am sure every one will love these mouth watering Indian fast foods…