I remember as a young child, my grand mom used to live in a little town and we used to visit her in our summer vacations. She was a very sweet lady, like most grand mothers are and I really used to look forward to those yearly visits. In those days, the only way to visit her was by train. After a week or ten days of having fun, lazing around and enjoying, when it was time to return home, she would pack a lot of goodies and mangoes for us.
One particular memory , I associate with this journey is that she would always pack ‘ Coconut Lamb fry’ for our dinner in train. Maybe, because it was dry and non messy and tasted good with breads/rotis or rice. Whenever, I make this dish I always remember her. This can be tried with lamb as well as with chicken. Both the versions taste delicious.
Recipe : Coconut Chicken
What you need:
- 500 g boneless chicken
- 1/2 fresh coconut ( grind to paste )
- 2/3 cup yogurt whisked
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp.Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder ( optional )
- 2 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- 2-4 tbsp. oil (as much as your diet can afford)
- Cilantro and roasted cashew nuts for garnish
- Put all the ingredients except the oil in a deep bottomed pan.
- Cover and cook on a medium flame till chicken is tender.You will not need to add water in case of chicken, because it will cook in the yogurt. But just in case , it looks a bit dry add a cup of water and cook.
- When chicken is cooked, remove the pieces with the help of kitchen tongs.
- In a non stick pan, put half the oil and fry the chicken pieces lightly. Remove the chicken pieces,
- Now put the remaining oil and add the coconut and yogurt left from cooking the chicken. Saute this paste for a few minutes.
- Add the fried chicken and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Remove in a serving plate and garnish with Cilantro and roasted cashews (optional).