When the temperature is dipping and the freezing cold keeps you locked at home, what you need is the warmth of your ‘hearth’ to warm up your ‘hearts’ 💕 …….. Lol 😝 Did I just say that! ? Can’t believe I am coming up with funny prefaces for a food post 😀 . Well! blogging is doing strange things to me 🙂
In simple words, the cold winter weather requires food which gives us warmth and nourishment. And what better than the three “Ch”s, chocolate, cheese and chicken.
So, I came up with this recipe including at least two of them, Chicken and cheese. For the third “Ch” , chocolate, finish your dinner with Molten Heart Choco Lava Cake or Chocolate Cookie tarts or Chocolate balls in Cappuccino custard
My version of chicken corn casserole is one comforting bowl of warmth you and your family would enjoy. It is an easy and hearty dinner dish you can also prepare in advance and simply heat and eat.
Recipe: Corn and Chicken Casserole with mac and cheese
1.For the mac and cheese base:
- 2 cups macaroni cooked in boiling salted water to which you have added a teaspoon of oil to prevent them from sticking, till almost al dente (just on the edge of being underdone), then drain and rinse with cold water; set aside .
- Bechamel/white sauce: 3 tbsp. butter, 3 tbsp. flour, 3 cups boiled milk. Heat butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the flour and saute a little till lightly golden.Remove from heat and add the milk , while whisking continuously.Return to heat and cook till sauce thickens. Season with salt, pepper powder and dried herbs( I used oregano). Add half a cup ( more or less)grated cheddar cheese and mix well.Remove from heat.
- Combine the macaroni with the cheese sauce.
- Layer the casserole dish( brush with oil first) with the mac and cheese. Dot with some pizza sauce if you like.
2.For the corn and chicken layer
- Chicken nuggets/ left over roast chicken/or shallow fry chicken cubes with salt, pepper, garlic paste and little oil
- 1 can cream style sweet corn
- 3 cups corn kernels ( boil and drain/steam if frozen )
- 1 tbsp. fine cornmeal
- 1 cup of chopped bell peppers ( any color)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup thick milk
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp. butter melted
- 1 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1-2 tsp. dried oregano
Combine all the dry ingredients first. Add the rest of the ingredients except eggs and milk.Whisk the eggs and milk together and add to the mix.Spoon this mixture over the mac and cheese layer carefully.
- Chilli flakes
- Cheese slices/ mozarrella cheese grated
- chopped bell pepper
- 2 tsp. corn kernels ( reserved while preparing the second layer)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
Sprinkle all these on the second layer. Bake at 350° F for about 25-30 minutes till a knife when inserted in the center comes out clean. If you want a more golden top,brush with some butter or olive oil and broil for about five minutes till desired color is achieved.
I have to add here that Angie@ The Novice Gardeners’ Steamed Corn Pudding inspired me to an extent in making this dish.
I have to share this dish with my FF buddies.FF 46 is being hosted as usual by Angie@TheNovicegardener. Helping her by co hosting this time are two wonderful blogger friends Juju @cooking with aunt juju.com and Margy@Lapetitcasserole. Come and join me at the most happening party on line…….